Smith Moore & Associates’ goal is to provide our clients with unmatched services and expertise in administration, governance, accounting, meeting planning, strategic planning and communications services, going above and beyond our clients’ expectations. All of our services are tailored to the specific needs of each of our nonprofit association clients, ensuring the association’s leadership can focus on the vision of the organization while remaining confident its day-to-day operations are running smoothly. We strive to realize the growth potential of each of our organizations, working closely with volunteer leaders to assess the needs of the membership and embrace its goals and mission.
At Smith Moore & Associates we believe in:
- Teamwork. Our staff help each other whenever and however necessary, regardless of job titles or responsibilities.
- Exceptional customer service. Our staff are friendly and courteous, and make every effort to go above and beyond when dealing with our clients’ members.
- Being the resource. We are professionals, and our expertise is readily available and accessible to our clients. However, we also recognize that the volunteer leadership are the decision makers, and we support their decisions regardless of how they correlate with our own opinions.
- Providing excellent client relations. Staff identify and adapt to our client’s culture and interact with them accordingly.
- Being responsive. We value the volunteers’ time. Most client requests are handled within hours (or even minutes) of the request.
- Being a partner. Our staff is our clients’ staff. Our office is their office. Client leadership should forget that they are working with an association management company, and client members should never be able to tell the difference.
- Attention to detail. When dealing with our clients and their members, we not only answer a request as presented, but we determine the intent of the request and respond accordingly.
- Cultivating careers. We work with our staff to determine interests and career goals, and nurture these aspirations. Working at Smith Moore & Associates is professionally and personally rewarding.
Catherine A. Smith
Catherine A. Smith, CAE, is the founder and CEO of Smith Moore & Associates. Catherine has more than 35 years of experience in association and nonprofit administration on local, state, national and international levels. Catherine founded Smith Moore & Associates after serving as the executive director of the California Special Districts Association (CSDA). She had always dreamed of opening the doors of an association management company and in 2006 that dream became a reality.
Catherine has presented at state and national forums, speaking on association management and governance issues. In 2000, Catherine received the Chair’s Award for exceptional service from the California Society of Association Executives (CalSAE).
She graduated from the University of Toledo, Ohio, where she earned a bachelor’s degree in communications with an emphasis in public relations and from California State University, Sacramento, she earned a master’s in communications and public affairs. Her first exposure to the non-profit world was an a communications intern at the Toledo Humane Society. That experience set Catherine’s professional path to work with non-profit organizations. She never looked back.
Catherine received the prestigious Certified Association Executive (CAE) designation from the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE) in 2000. Catherine was featured in an issue of ASAE’s Association Management for her successful management strategies for small staff associations. Catherine served on the CalSAE Board of Directors and was nominated for the CalSAE Executive of the Year Award. She currently serves on ASAE’s AMC Council Section and CalSAE’s Legislative Committee.
Melissa Dixon, CAE, is the chief operating officer and senior account executive at Smith Moore & Associates. Melissa has 20 years of experience in administrative and management services to trade associations. Melissa helped open the firm in 2006, and was Smith Moore & Associates’ first employee.
Melissa has been published in The Executive, the bimonthly publication of the California Society of Association Executives (CalSAE), and has participated in numerous CalSAE task forces focused on promoting association management companies (AMCs) in California.
Melissa graduated from California State University, Sacramento, where she received a bachelor’s degree in English, and earned from Walden University her MBA with a concentration in nonprofit administration. Melissa received the prestigious Certified Association Executive (CAE) designation from the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE) in 2010.
Justin Lewis is the chief information officer for Smith Moore & Associates. Justin has worked in the IT field for 18 years, and has experience with installation, configuration, and support for Internet connections, networks, websites, listservs, and more. In recent years he has studied the programming languages Python, R and the Web framework Django, and spends some of his free time researching productivity, data science and playing with his daughters. Prior to joining Smith Moore & Associates, Justin was a systems administrator for an Internet service provider, giving him a comfort and preference for command line interfaces and the Linux operating system. He has knowledge of database administration, including everything from the DOS-based PC File to software such as MySQL, the world’s most popular open-source database.